Privacy seems to become more and more relevant. Ill-willing individuals and companies want to get as much personal information as possible in order to earn money in all sorts of ways. ICT Institute is there to help you.
Now that the new European privacy legislation GDPR has entered into force on 25 May 2018, no one can ignore it anymore. Privacy is important. Companies often badly handle (purposefully) personal data, which can now be punished with a hefty fine. However, punishing companies is not the GDPR’s main goal. The GDPR helps ensure privacy for individuals, and attempts to simplify data protection legislation for organizations. Since the European Union can not be everywhere at the same time, each Member State is obliged to appoint a national and / or regional supervisor. The vision of the Dutch privacy regulator can be read in our (Dutch) interview with the chairman of the Dutch Data Protection authority, Aleid Wolfsen.
ICT Institute and privacy
At ICT Institute we help companies understand what the GDPR means to them, which measures they can best take, and how they should deal with the new requirements that are set out. Should you have any questions about privacy in your organization, do not hesitate to contact us via the contact form. We can, for example, form a picture of your current GDPR compliance with our Compliance Scan. Furthermore, we organize a GDPR basics course every once in a while, and regularly write articles about the GDPR and data protection on our blog. A good place to start is our GDPR in 10 steps article. We have also included privacy as an important aspect in our information security standard Security Verified.
In addition, we strongly support the free availability of good material. The AVG requires that certain matters are well documented, and that is why we have developed some templates that we provide for free. Currently we have the following templates:
- A template for the Register of processing activities
- A template for Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA)
- A template for a Data Processing Agreement
- A template for the healthcare-specific NTA 7516 (NL)
- A template for transferring software between companies (NL)
Sieuwert van Otterloo, Joost Krapels and Jelle Hoekstra carry out the most privacy-related assignments we receive. They are both Data Protection Officers (NL), at Lifewords, Relive and Youbahn respectively.
Directly to the right article
Here we have compiled a categorised no nonsense overview of the articles about both AVG and other privacy-related subjects / developments we encountered.
- Practical guide of GDPR
- Terminology of GDPR
- When is a DPIA mandatory? (NL)
- What to put into a privacy statement (NL)
- Example of processing activities (NL)
- Explanation of legitimate basis to process data (NL)
- Reporting data breaches
Blogposts about privacy
- Privacymanagement in ISO 27701
- Cookies: the yes, the no, and the maybe
- How to handle privacy issues in IT projects
- Incidents in the media (2021) (NL)
- Privacy in the news (2020) (NL)
- New privacy guideline for connected cars (NL)
Our Dutch website contains even more information on privacy and data protection.
Image credit @pawel_czerwinski via unsplash